- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, very finely minced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces with your hands
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil *
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or red wine *
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 slices thick stale country style Italian bread, torn into bite-size pieces
PREPARATION: In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, garlic and basil. Drizzle with the 1/2 cup olive oil and the 3 tbsp vinegar over the vegetables, then add the salt and pepper. Mix well. Place half of the bread in a bowl and spoon half of the tomato mixture over the bread. Add the remaining bread on top then the remaining tomato mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour. When you are ready to serve, toss the salad and enjoy!
* You can add extra olive oil and/or vinegar to suit your taste.