*Trofie or Trenette al Pesto
- 1 lb. Trofie or Trenette from Liguria
- 1 fresh potato
- 1/2 cup cooked string beans
Pesto prepared as follows*:
- 1 bunch sweet basil
- 2 tablespoons pinoli (pine nuts)
- 4 shelled walnuts
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated pecorino cheese
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt, pepper
Blend the above ingredients until uniformly creamy
Cut the potato into thin slices. Bring a pot of salt water to a boil and add the pasta and the potato. Cut the string beans into pieces and steam. Add to the pasta and potato 2 minutes before the pasta is done. Strain but save some of the pasta water. Add the pesto and mix. Add some of the leftover pasta water, a little at a time, to achieve a creamy pesto. Serve immediately. Serves four. Fresh ricotta may be added to the pasta and pesto just before serving.
*Not feeling like making pesto? Use one of our pestos from Liguria and follow the preparation directions. Mangia bene. Vivi felice!